WRITTEN BY BELLA BAKES
Sure to delight every kid in the house (or those who are kids at heart), these hot chocolate bombs are the must-have holiday treat.
What are hot chocolate bombs (aka hot cocoa bombs)?
They are tasty orbs of chocolate goodness hiding a sweet marshmallow surprise.
Yields: 3-4 hot cocoa bombs
- Sphere mold
- 1 Digital thermometer
- 1 Paintbrush or popsicle stick
- Measuring spoons
- 1 Piping bag or Ziploc bag
- Your favorite mug
- 2 Bowls wider than the mug
- 24 ounces good quality semi-sweet chocolate (I used Callebaut)
- 12 ounces white chocolate
- Hot chocolate mix
- Mini marshmallows
- Pink Peppermint Fancy Sprinkles®
- Rhinestone Sliver Prism Powder®
1. Temper the Chocolate
Warm up semi-sweet chocolate slowly so the sugar in the cocoa butter breaks down to a more “liquid” form and it can be poured into your mold. An easy way to do this is to place chocolate in a bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir chocolate well and heat again for 15 seconds. Repeat this process and heat chocolate for no more than 15 seconds at a time. Do not rush this step.
You want the chocolate to ALMOST be all melted. Use your thermometer to make sure the temp does not go above 90F. Once it’s nearly all melted stir it well and the residual heat will melt the rest.
2. Make the bomb shells
Using a spoon drop a teaspoon or two of chocolate in a sphere. Use the popsicle stick or paintbrush to paint the sides of the sphere so it’s fully coated. Repeat for all the spheres.
Refrigerate mold for 5 minutes
3. Fill the bombs
Take the chocolate out of molds and fill half of them with 1 Tablespoon of hot cocoa mix and a handful of mini marshmallows.
4. Close the bombs
Microwave a microwave-safe plate for 60 seconds. Using the empty half-sphere place it on the hot plate for a few seconds just so it melts. Attach it to the sphere with the marshmallows.
5. Decorate the cup
Melt white chocolate in the microwave. Use a bowl that’s large enough for you to dip the rim of your mug inside. Have another bowl that’s roughly the same size filled with your favorite Fancy Sprinkles (we’re using Pink Peppermint).
Once melted dip the rim in the bowl of chocolate then dip in the bowl of sprinkles.
6. Decorate the BombsUsing that same white chocolate you melted, place some in a piping bag (if you do not have a piping bag, you can use a Ziploc bag and just cut one corner off), and drizzle over the bombs. Sprinkle on some Pink Peppermint Fancy Sprinkles®, and add a little Rhinestone Silver Prism Powder® (or a lot).
7. FINALLY, ENJOY the hot cocoa BOMB!
Place the hot cocoa bomb in a mug, pour hot milk over, and enjoy!